Our Outdoor School
One of the great attractions of Kates Hill Primary is that the outdoors is built into our teaching, sports and activities. Among the other aspects of this approach are:
- The KS1 play area with its climbing frame, pirate ships, activity cabins and clambering features.
- The Trim Trail, which is designed to keep children active, fit and healthy.
- The Edible Garden, where the pupils learn about growing plants and the science behind it.
- Our nature walk, bird boxes and bug hotel.
- The sensory garden
- Our outdoor classroom
- Trips to an outdoor activity centre and the countryside.
Forest School is all about building skills and confidence through regular sessions in the outdoors, where children can learn about the natural environment while tackling new challenges and gaining new experiences. It is a long-term programme that supports play, exploration and supported risk taking. It develops children’s self-esteem through hands-on activities in a natural setting.
Pupils take part in Forest School every year that they are at Kates Hill. It takes place in our incredible woodland environment where we try to develop a lifelong relationship between the children and the natural world. We also benefit from having an outdoor classroom and our own edible playground, where children can help to grow and pick fruit and vegetables.
Our aim is to develop our pupils to be resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.